Thursday, August 24, 2006

Trees

Here are some of the paintings I've made during my time in Graz. As you will notice, I'm really into painting trees. I am drawn to their sinuous shape. They are simultaneously alive and static. They have character and emotions of their own.

Up
gouache, acrylic on canvas, 50 x 70 cm
This is the last painting I made here, and I feel like it comes full-circle. It could be a mature version of the first painting I made here, incorporating all the lessons I learned as I experimented with the paints.

der Alte Baum
gouache, acrylic on canvas, 60 x 80 cm
In this one I decided to not paint the whole tree, and have more of a close-up to the trunk.


The Cherry Tree
gouache, acrylic, pen on canvas, 60 x 80 cm
I'm not actually sure if this is a cherry tree, but I thought it should be one. The composition was inspired from views I had while hiking in Salzburgland, and the tree is inspired by a tree that grows on the fortress in Salzburg.


Yellow Field
gouache, acrylic on canvas, 60 x 80 cm
This painting was inspired by my train ride from Vienna to Budapest. There were huge fields of yellow flowers rolling by out the window.


La Reve [the dream]
gouache, acrylic on canvas, 60 x 80 cm
This painting started off abstract, and eventually a tree emerged. I really like the dripping effect of the gouache.


Across The River
gouache on canvas, 60 x 80 cm
I saw my first big Alps on a train ride to Salzburg. The massive rock walls left an impression on me. I also tried experimenting more with the gouache paint on this painting.


Three
gouache on canvas, each panel 25 x 25 cm
These three paintings were going to be a series of abstract shapes, but I just couldn't resist putting trees in them!


Two Trees
gouache, acrylic on canvas, 40 x 30 cm
I don't consider this painting to be finished, but I like the idea of keeping it full of potential, like the two trees will grow up together. This was when I first noticed the nice effect of the gouache dripping.


St Jakob im Winter
arylic on canvas, 40 x 50 cm
I was so inspired by our weekend in St Jakob with Ingrid & Alois, that I decided to make then a painting for their hut. The tough part was that I had never painted snow before! It is much more complicated than "just white."


Feuerbaum
acrylic on canvas, 40 x 50 cm
In this painting I wanted to make an interesting abstract composition with the colors, while still including a tree as the subject matter.


The Beet Tree
gouache, acrylic on canvas, 40 x 50 cm
This was my first painting here. I just had fun with the colors. I didn't want to pressure myself to make anything great. I think it's a very happy painting.

All images © 2006 Robin Litster Sussillo