Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Wrong Number

Yesterday I got a phone call that turned out to be a wrong number. It happens all the time, and normally both parties realize it pretty quickly, apologize, and hang up. Simple. Well, try adding a foreign language and things get more interesting.
My phone rang yesterday afternoon, and I answered it with "hello" which is, of course, in English, but could pass for the German word "hallo." The man on the other end said something very quickly in German. I asked if he spoke English; no. I asked why he was calling me. He said something, and all I managed to understand was that he had seen "something" of mine and was thus calling. I asked what, he hung up.
After a few minutes, I remembered that I had sent my resume to an interior design place back in early December. Could this be them getting back to me? Uh oh! David convinced me to call the number back and find out. Amazingly enough I found the courage to do so. What me and the guy on the other end finally managed to figure out was that he was calling in response to a personal ad, and I was definitely not the person who had placed it.
Of course, if we had more of a language in common, this would have all been figured out very quickly. It was obviously a unique experience reserved for someone struggling to live in a foreign country and learn a new language. I had a good laugh! And it is encouraging to see that my German is improving, although now it's right on the dangerous line between incomprehension and comprehension. As in, you think you know what someone's talking about, but you missed one key thing and really it's the complete opposite.